Thursday, April 9, 2015

Daddy Dearest

Every girl has a special relationship with their father and am no different. For as long as I can remember he has been the solid rock on which I leaned when things were not so sparkly in my life. In childhood he spoilt me and we had a warm relationship, as a teenager I rebelled and saw his harsh side. But it is in adulthood that he totally amazed me. My father looks out for me in a way that makes me indebted to him for the rest of my life. When I was broke he had some savings to share, when I was homeless, he offered me a roof over my head. He seems to understand my motivation for taking certain actions even before I have worked it out myself and he gives me clarity when I am uncertain. He never judges me even for my weakest decisions. He has offered advice without expecting me to take it and many times I take his advice because I do not feel the pressure of making the decision. Whenever am troubled he offers calm wisdom and often quotes that verse in Ecclesiastes that reminds us that everything is but the wind. When my marriage was on the rocks he did not judge or take sides, he simply stood by me holding my hand and praying. He never prayed for a specific outcome but he prayed for me to find peace of mind. Many a time he referred to my middle name; 'My daughter, I called you Busingye, (Peace) for a reason. Find you own peace of mind.' 

At 50 I know that there is truth in the suspicion that a lot of the dissatisfaction in marriage stems from women expecting their spouses to treat them just like their Dad did.
 
feeling loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment